Wednesday 4 April 2012

Easter Holidays

So, easter holidays. The 2 weeks that schools have off.
It feels really weird for me! Although i am 18, i should have been in year 13 right about now, but i decided i'd drop out at the start. Something that many people who know me thought i'd never do!

But yano what? I am SO glad i did! After my quite frankly shocking year 12 results - i was feeling very low and realised that i am not exactly an academic person. Now i really didnt need to be reminded of this by my teachers on results day. There i was with one of my friends sophie, balling my eyes out because i had worked so hard, only to get crappy results... and in comes my head of year - with my head of 6th form following. both making snide comments and looks at me. So i decided to leave - even though they wanted me to stay and "talk".
A couple of weeks later when everyone was deciding what to drop, i had to  go in to have a meeting with them both. Cutting a long story short - i was told that i was:
a. a failure
b. no point me staying
c. that in year 12 i "struggled" and didnt concentrate
d. made me go and speak to my teachers
So my only option was to stay on with 2 subjects and an extended project. What was the point?
But still i went to speak to one of my teachers who was fine with me staying on, and the other? couldnt give a monkeys about me and said they wouldnt speak to me until lunch time... well i wasnt staying that long (it was 10am at this time)

So i decided it was time i left.
I had a meeting with my head of year and told her that was it, i was leaving - Did they care that much? nope... not at all.

But i made the right decision. I'd had quite a miserable year in year 12 because i was repeatedly told i was not an A* student. YES I KNOW.
I may have struggled but i did my absolute best - which i was never ever praised for.
And what i realised was i could do what i wanted to do in life without a uni degree and would probably get further with experience. There was only 1 uni i wanted to go to that would have been worthwhile anyway.

So here i am, doing what i want to do without having teachers in my ear telling me i would fail.
Well guess what? i havent, i am succeeding.
So my advice to them would be... Dont put people down and make their lives a misery - because they will come back and tell you otherwise. Especially when you come up to me and ask if i miss it - thinking i'd say yes, when i said no.

P.s massive thank you to my amazing friend Thomas Joy for linking me on his blog... so i will do the same back!
http://life-life-life-life-life.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-306-say-whaaat.html

No comments:

Post a Comment